Huntington Beach, Calif. – June 30, 2009 – USA Water Polo Men's Senior National Team Head Coach Terry Schroeder has announced the 14-man roster for the 2009 FINA World Championships scheduled to begin July 20 in Rome, Italy. The roster contains 11 Olympians including 10 members of the 2008 Silver Medal winning squad from the Beijing Olympics.
Three-time Olympian and Team Captain Tony Azevedo will lead the team into action joined by veteran and fellow three-time Olympian Ryan Bailey who is headed to his sixth World Championships. Two-time Olympians Layne Beaubien, Adam Wright, Jeff Powers, and Jesse Smith will join Bailey and Azevedo along with 2008 Olympians Merrill Moses, Peter Varellas, Tim Hutten, and JW Krumpholz. 2004 Olympian Genai Kerr returns to the squad along with 2008 Olympic alternates Brian Alexander and John Mann. Recent UCLA grad Justin Johnson rounds out the squad going to Italy.
Head Coach Terry Schroeder will lead the team into Rome joined by Assistant Coaches Robert Lynn, Ryan Brown, and Team Leader Rick McKee. Coming off a fourth place finish at the 2009 FINA World League Super Finals in Podgorica, Montenegro the squad is hoping to avenge a ninth place finish at the 2007 World Championships in Melbourne, Australia. The team opens play against the host, Italy, on July 20. They will also meet Macedonia and Romania in preliminary group play.
About USA Water Polo
USA Water Polo, Inc. is the national governing body for water polo in America, overseeing our United States Olympic program as well as 20 different championship events annually, such as Junior Olympics and Masters Championships. With more than 30,000 members, USAWP is also the sanctioning authority for more than 400 tournaments nationwide. USAWP is committed to the development of the sport nationwide. It fosters grass-roots expansion of the sport, providing a national system of affiliated clubs, certified coaches and officials.
2009 FINA World Championships Roster
1. Merrill Moses (Palos Verdes, CA/Pepperdine)
2. Peter Varellas (Moraga, CA/Stanford)
3. Brian Alexander (Santa Ana, CA/UC-Santa Barbara)
4. Jeff Powers (San Luis Obispo, CA/UC-Irvine)
5. Adam Wright (Seal Beach, CA/UCLA)
6. Justin Johnson (Mission Viejo, CA/UCLA)
7. Layne Beaubien (Coronado, CA/Stanford)
8. Tony Azevedo (Long Beach, CA/Stanford)
9. Ryan Bailey (Long Beach, CA/UC-Irvine)
10. Tim Hutten (Seal Beach, CA/UC-Irvine)
11. Jesse Smith (Coronado, CA/Pepperdine)
12. JW Krumpholz (Santa Ana, CA/USC)
13. Genai Kerr (Imperial Beach, CA/UC-Irvine)
14. John Mann (Newport Beach, CA/California)*
Head Coach: Terry Schroeder
Assistant Coach: Robert Lynn
Assistant Coach: Ryan Brown
Team Leader: Rick McKee